18 Aug 2013

Have you tried the Big McAfee ?

Around the world more and more companies are constantly discovering the benefits of Enterprise 2.0. i.e through:
  • Productivity and Efficiency
  • Staff Engagement
  •  Knowledge 
  • Reputation
In The social economy: Unlockingvalue and productivity through social technologies (July 2012) report by The McKinsey Global Institute it is further stated that in 2011 72% of companies, asked in a survey, answered that they were using social technologies in their businesses. Out of these companies, non less than, 90% reported experienced benefits from the use of social technologies.

As the main finding the McKinsey Global Institute have in their report identified ten areas where social technologies can add value to an organization - the so called value levers. The ten areas are shown in the figure below. 

McDonald's befitting from social technology  

In this blog post I have decided to focus on McDonald’s and their use of co-creation in product development. 
Everybody knows MacDonald’s as a globalised company in the fast food industry and most people would properly also have voted for McDonald's as world leader with a market share of 13%.


In 2011 McDonald’s in Germany decided to engage in social technology in a very smart way.  
As a part of their constant product development and marketing events the company decided to launch a competition where people could log on to McDonald’s website and design their own dream burger.
Once the burger was designed the contestants used a wide pallet of different campaigning tools (such as banner templates) available on the McDonald’s website to create a customized campaign for their dream burger. The contestant would then use Facebook, Twitter or VZ-Networks to promote their individual campaign which at the same time would enter them into the competition to get the most votes. After a few months the top ten finalists got to present their burgers before a test jury while other contestants were able to follow the event on Facebook. The final top five burgers then went on sale at McDonald’s Restaurants throughout Germany.

Facts:                                                                                      
  • During the competition a total of 116.000 burgers were designed - with the first 45.000 burgers designed in the first week alone.
  •  More than 12,000 individual ad campaigns were posted on Facebook
  • 1.5 million votes were registered.
  • The campaign achieved more than 21 million contacts which in total meant reaching one out of four of the German population.
  • The entirely event was launched and marketed through social media channels whiteout McDonald’s spending the usual fortune on advertising.
According to McDonald’s no campaign had ever resulted in so many new customers, so many promotional burgers sold or in such high total revenue.
McDonald’s has I my opinion used social technology for product development, through customer insights, as well as branding, in a very smart way with a minimum cost. Not only did Mcdonald’s use co-creation to develop 5 new burger variants, they also gained valuable customer insights, as a massive statistical foundation, in terms of forecasting how their customers think a McDonald’s burger should be composed ultimately providing McDonald’s with a tool to target their products even better.  

So let's do the math

According to McDonald’s financial report from2012 the total revenue for the McDonald’s Corporation in 2011 was 27 billion US dollars. Furthermore the report states that the European market accounted for 39% of the total revenue. Out of the total revenue generated in Europe, Germany accounted for 51%. This means that Germany generated a revenue of

27*0.39*0.51 = 5.4 billion US dollars                            

According to The McKinsey Global Institutes report, using social technology in the areas Product development and Marketing and Sales can generate extra revenue of > 0.5% and > 2% respectively.
Assuming the minimum expected growth, meaning that the revenue for McDonald Germany would only increasing 2.5%* from the use of social technology this would, however, correspond to a massive increase in revenue. More specifically:

5.4*0.025 = 134 million US dollars

This is in my opinion a pretty decent outcome of a competition that didn’t even offered a spectacular first price. In short McDonald’s Germany took a great idea and combined it with social technology and got the maximum benefits on the bottom line in return through different value levers. 

The Big McAfee

So of cause I couldn’t resist to log on to the Danish Homepage of McDonald’s and design my own burger as well. So here it is, in honor of you-know-who :-D I give you:


Now who's hungry? I know I am!!





MacDonald’s financial report from2012
Danish Homepage of McDonald’s
*(from the assumption that the growth in the two areas is experienced simultaneously)

8 comments:

  1. I found your analysis on the McDonald's campaign very interesting and informative. I especially liked your estimation of the revenues from the marketing campaign in the last paragraph. You have illustrated your point very well and this made the post much more interesting to read.

    Also, from the customer's point of view (to play the devil's advocate a bit here), I find it a bit unfair for such a large company to tap into the collective intelligence of literally hundreds of thousands of their customers, realise a massive profit increase and do not even offer any significant prizes for the best applicants. I think companies need to be more fair with people participating in such crowd-sourcing efforts and reward them accordingly, otherwise the public will grow sceptical of such campaigns the same way they have with traditional marketing.

    Please check out my post on this topic too, I'm curious of your opinion:

    http://digitalrainforest.wordpress.com/2013/08/17/enterprise-2-0-social-technology-value-levers-comcastcares-case-study/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi digitalrainforest
      It’s really funny you should mention the lack of grand price in the competition - I also found that a little strange. I remember when the campaign rolled in Denmark last year the winner (I think he was a young schoolboy) had his burger “the McSwag” aired in TV commercials next to his picture. For a young kid in school I guess that is quite a nice prize being “sort of famous” over night. But I am totally agreeing with you that this “prize” is still a bit of a bummer and really not a prize at all. Maybe if McDonald’s would dig a bit in the deep pockets and come up with a really nice price maybe more people would also participate and it might still be a win-win, from my analysis I think they can afford it :-D

      Delete
  2. Hi Lise

    Great read and great info

    I might be knit picking but Isn't it Mcdonald's and not Macdonald's. Also there are a few spelling and grammar mistakes. I suggest going over the post again and correcting those.

    Great burger by the way!

    If you have the time check out my blog
    http://pbaggerman.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Patrick
    NO NO you are not knit picking at all! I am so embarrassed and hope I have corrected it everywhere now – thank you for the heads up! Hmm I know it’s no excuse, but English is not my first languish and I already use SO much time writing and checking for spelling and grammar mistakes. It would really be nice if you could take your posts (and other schoolwork) somewhere on campus and have someone competent looking your stuff over to ovoid the most obvious mistakes :-)
    Thanks glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lise,
    I really like the way you analyse your chosen organisation (McDonalds) with the value lever (co-creation) applied. This includes statistics, facts and maths calculation that you have brought to add more depth for your analysis. About the co-creating burgers’ campaign, I agreed with you that McDonald made its smart move in using social technologies to engage people and increase its marketing sale. I have to admit that the content of the campaign itself really attracted me to design my own burger. In return, I believe this fresh new ideas of burgers can help McDonalds to come with the new market channels or products’ improvement as gaining advantages over its competitors.

    (My reply for your previous post - http://bit.ly/1bO1wdF)
    Fist of all, I'm sorry for my late reply due to facing technical issues that blocked me from submitting my reply (http://bit.ly/16qT9lY). There is nothing wrong with your post/previous reply. About what I have mentioned for the Google Docs' part, I just wanted to pick up its point in terms of accessibility. Google Docs is definitely a Web 2.0 tool as what you have already said in your post :). Hope this can clear up on my previous reply.

    Nice analysis post, Lise

    Note: In my previous post, I discussed another campaign of McDonalds too. Please feel free to check it out (http://sarun21.wordpress.com/2013/08/12/the-use-of-enterprise-2-0-in-action/).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your feedback and thanks for answering the question regarding google.docs. As I am not too familiar with these tools I am happy you clarified this to me  Will surely check out your blog asap!
    Cheers lise

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lise,
    I really enjoyed reading your blog. I felt that it was engaging content (loved the burger- I am going to try it out) yet really informative. One thing I did not like though was your background theme, I feel it is a bit distracting, but that could just be me. I can't wait to read through your next post :)
    Thanks, Britt

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Brittany
    Thanks for the feedback  I really have I hard time picking my background theme:-/ I think I changed it like 10 times already and I agree with you – I also think this one is too messy. Hmm it’s hard to make it look “professional”? Either it becomes “too much” or else I think it’s boring… I’ll try another one again. Thanks for your input! Will make sure to stop by your new blog post asap.
    Cheers Lise

    ReplyDelete